Communications staff partner with researchers and graduate students at the Life Span Institute and affiliated university department researchers to provide a broad range of communications support.
Additionally, communications staff are available to connect journalists with faculty with expertise in education, disabilities, neuroscience and behavior.
Strategic Communications, Media and Development Services:
- Strategic promotion of Life Span Institute staff and student achievements, research activity and events through news releases, social media, web features and internal news bulletins. We connect the public with news about new grants, publications, donor support, and Life Span Institute people.
- Connect journalists and producers with Life Span Institute subject experts.
- Website strategy and support, including analysis, content creation and design for designated Life Span Institute centers.
- Events development and management that connects researchers with opportunities to communicate their research to public, as well as assistance with scholarly workshops and conferences.
- Development (fundraising) related communications services that raise funds for the Life Span Institute and its research centers. This includes development of annual giving campaigns, consultations with researchers about potential donors, donor acknowledgement, donor stewardship, and connecting researchers with appropriate staff at KU Endowment.
- Research communications training such as media interview consultations, message distillation, audience analysis and storytelling techniques. We provide opportunities for workshops, talks and trainings to help researchers effectively communicate their work to a wide variety of public audiences.
- Accessibility advice for creating documents such as PDFs, video captioning and more.
Project Services (including Fee-for-Service):
Communications staff can create content to help researchers with funded research projects through fee-for-service websites, professional photography, and video services. In this area, we offer:
- Development of websites to meet the needs of your research project using a variety of platforms and tools.
- Video Production to help you reach your audience effectively. We have a full media studio with professional audio and video equipment, and we can also do production on site at your research setting.
- Photography, including arranging and overseeing professional photo shoots at research sites and providing subject model releases.
- Zoom Webinar hosting services and conference coordination and support.
- Social media and e-news advice and support